We are mindful that certain aspects of our oil palm plantations and palm oil ("PO") processing operations may have an environmental impact on our surroundings. Therefore, with the view to conserving and preserving our surrounding environment, we have made sustainable development an integral part of our Group's corporate social responsibility programme.
Bumitama Agri Ltd. (BAL) is a member of the RSPO, a non-profit association which promotes the production and use of palm oil in a sustainable manner, and two of our mills in Central Kalimantan received its RSPO certificate in June & July 2014 and one mill in Central Kalimantan received ISPO certificate in September 2014.
Membership of RSPO facilitates contribution to RSPO's efforts to promote the growth and use of sustainable palm oil as members will be able to participate in discussions and vote on initiatives by RSPO. We believe that our efforts to achieve RSPO certification increase public and industry awareness of our commitment to RSPO's objective of sustainable palm oil development.
As part of our commitment to produce in an environmentally sound and sustainable manner, we aim to:
- Ensure the safety of our products and operations for the environment, using standards of environmental impact assessment and pollution prevention systems which are generally acceptable by the industry;
- Develop innovative products and processes which will reduce environmental impact, such as through waste minimisation and resource conservation, including energy and water use, and explore opportunities for reuse and recycling;
- Develop and apply systems of environmental management as part of our day-to-day operational practice and on-going management reporting and control procedures;
- Refrain from destroying and undertake to preserve any primary rainforest within our control, in order not to put at risk areas of special scientific interest or habitats important for endangered plant or animal species;
- Work with industry bodies, government agencies, business partners and other concerned organisations to promote environmental care, increase knowledge and disseminate best practice;
- Ensure that all employees are aware of our environmental policy and are motivated to apply it.
Our current sustainable development polices include:
- A "zero burning" policy for planting of new oil palm trees
- We clear trees and vegetation using chain saws and machinery instead of traditional "slash-and-burn" methods of land-clearing that cause air pollution and risk forest fires.
- A "zero waste" policy on PO production waste by recycling waste products such as empty palm fruit bunches ("EFB") as organic fertiliser in our plantations and compost.
- Using land cover crops immediately after planting to conserve soil moisture and minimise soil erosion.
- Integrating biological control into our pest management practices to minimise the use of pesticides.